Ensuring a stable supply of donor blood has always been a priority for local hospitals, but the need today is even more urgent. Hoping to help replenish dwindling blood supplies nationwide due to the coronavirus pandemic, Collins is partnering with the Mall of America and the American Red Cross to host a local blood drive.
Though the Mall will remain closed during the drive, the large North Atrium provides enough space for donors, staff, and clinicians to adhere to social distancing guidelines while conducting the event.
According to a news release, the blood drives will also take additional precautions, including:
- Checking temperatures of donors and staff members
- Providing hand sanitizer for use before and during the drive
- Following social distancing at entry, donation, and refreshment areas
- Routinely disinfecting surfaces and equipment
- Wearing and changing gloves often
- Using sterile collection sets and an aseptic scrub for every donation
U.S. Surgeon General Jerome M. Adams encourages healthy Americans to consider donating now. “You can still go out and give blood. Social distancing does not have to mean social disengagement.”
Appointments for blood donation are available on April 7, 8, 17 and 18 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. and can be scheduled here. Once you arrive at the Mall keep an eye out for the Collins trailer.